Thursday, January 8, 2009

"What if Dave Navarro is there, and then Carmen Electra shows up? Would that be awkward? How would you deal with that?"

Tonight it is, kiddos. A show over a year in the making, with the help of the actual Beastie Boys and Silva Management, we present "Under The Influence: The Official Art Tribute To Beastie Boys." The reactions of the few people who stopped in today have really made me start to think this is one for the record books. And not just because they had such an incredible gathering of music, videos and style to choose from within the Beasties' catalogue, but because each artist delivered incredible work that really can stand on its own - and we get to raise some money for a great charity, The Gramercy Housing Project. I can't wait any longer for people to see this.

So many people made this exhibit happen and blogs are almost as good as MTV Award Shows to give shout outs, so here I go. "Shouts to Jennifer Hall from Silva Management. Sancho, for putting 2 and 2 together for me when the idea came up. Every artist who took this serious, and got an email with a weird, very specialized theme - and went running with it like vintage Carl Lewis when he had the steroid rumors. Shout to DJ Dan Suh on the BB Mix CD made for the show. Shouts to Roaring Lion Energy Drink for the bar. And shouts to Beastie Boys, for giving us the blessing to do this, and for asking insane questions today."

Did I sound like Jeezy?

To hold you over until you can see all the art, here's the AMAZING Mark Brown and his piece, "Egg Man's Journey." And hold your emails, it's sold.



My favorite part of Mark's work is that EVERY SINGLE detail of his paintings not only reek of serious detail, but they all ALL mean something. He takes pride is every single element in his paintings representing something for his goal. And his theme shows, that's always fun to see. Don't believe me? Mark made this cute little guide for all of us to know the ka-nowledge.



Egg Man's Journey - Key

1. "'Cause these rhymes are 200 proof; They're like anvils lined up on a roof Waiting to drop on your corny melon." "Crawlspace." To the 5 Burroughs
2. "Got weight on my shoulders and things on my mind; The sky is falling and I'm falling behind" "The Move" Hello Nasty

3. Pirate stuff is all over Licensed to Ill

"Yo ho ho and a bottle of Brass Monkey; And when my girlie shakes her hips - she sure gets funky" "Rhymin' And Stealin'" Licensed to Ill

"I got the new dance - they call the Brass Monkey" "Slow Ride" Licensed to Ill

"Pistol packing, Monkey drinking, no money bum; I come from Brooklyn 'cause that's where I'm from" "Paul Revere" Licensed to Ill

"Brass Monkey - that funky Monkey; Brass Monkey - junkie; That funky Monkey"... etc. "Brass Monkey" Licensed to Ill
4. "Naugels, Isaac Newton, Scientific E.Z.; Ben Franklin with the kite getting over with the key" "Sounds of Science" Paul's Boutique

"I do the Smurf, the Popeye, and the Jerry Lewis; I like Bullwinkle but I don't like Moose" "Posse in Effect" Licensed to Ill

5. "Grand Royal prez and I'm also a member; Born on the cusp in the month of november" "Get It Together" Ill Communication

"Well, I'm a funky skull and I'm a Scorpio; And when I got my flow I'm Doctor on the Go" "Get It Together" Ill Communication

"And Norton is chillin with Mario; Well my name is Adrock I'm a Scorpio" "Three MC's And One DJ" Hello Nasty

"I practice asana daily so I'm very flexible; I'm a Scorpio so you know I'm very sexual" "Unite" Hello Nasty

"So don't speak what I heard, just say what I know; And my ahhh... my zodiac sign is Scorpio" "That's It That's All" To the 5 Burroughs
6. "Because I'm hard hittin' - always bitten - cool as hell; I got trees on my mirror so my car won't smell" "Slow Ride" Licensed to Ill

7. Baskettball references are everywhere (too many to list)

8. "Slow riding, gun hidin' on the go; I'm fly like an eagle and I drink Old Crow" "Slow Ride" Licensed to Ill

9. "And if you ask me, turn up the bass; And if you play Defender I could be your hyperspace" "Body Movin'" Hello Nasty

10. "Well I got my shit and the rhyme style's kicking; My brain is flowing honest like Abe Lincoln" "Do It" Ill Communication

"I do the Smurf, the Popeye, and the Jerry Lewis; I like Bullwinkle but I don't like Moose" "Posse In Effect" Licensed to Ill

"You should have never started something that you couldn't finish; Cause writin' rhymes to me is like Popeye to spinach" "Professor Booty" Check Your Head

11. "And now I'd like to introduce (what's up?); I'll pass the mic to D for a fist full of truth" "Pass The Mic" Check Your Head

12. "See I've got heart like John Starks, hitting mad sparks; Pass me the mic and I'll be rocking the whole park" "Get It Together " Ill Communication

13. "The mirror, the TV, the new guitar cord; My remote control and my old skateboard" "She's Crafty" Licensed to Ill

"Remote control to change the station; But that won't change your situation /

The man pushing buttons on remote control; Until your back's up against the wall /

Some like it hot, others like it cold; But we all want to hold the remote control /

We've got cameras on Mars on space patrol; Controlled on Earth by remote control " "Remote Control" Hello Nasty

14. "I'm the Egg Man: You know I'm the Egg Man (Once upon a time) Egg Man.;

I'm the Egg Man, taxi driver; I'm the Egg Man; Egg Man; Egg Man" "Egg Man" Paul's Boutique

15. "I've got rhymes gallot and then I never fail; Like gravy on potatos, Luke to Darth Vader "Do It." Ill Communication

"You suckers try to front like you've got the force But I'll slay like Vader sip you for first course" "Crawlspace." To the 5 Burroughs

"A puppet on a string I'm paid to sing or rhyme" "Do It." Paul's Boutique

16. "Like a broken clock that can't tell time; Like a thick ass book that's filled with wack rhyme" "Just a Test" Hello Nasty

17. "It feels good to play a little music; Tears running down my face 'cause I love to do it" "Root Down" Ill Communication

18. "I've got a million ideas that I ain't even rocked; I've got the light bulb flashing on the top of my head" "Finger Lickin' Good" Check Your Head

19. "Putting songs together ain't no puzzle like Yahtzee; Sending this out to K-Rob and Rahmalzee" "B-boys Makin´ With the Freak Freak" Ill Communication

20. "Your knees'll start shaking and your fingers pop; Like a pinch on the neck of Mr. Spock" "Intergalactic" Hello Nasty

"Go by the name of King Ad Rock; Super educated I'm smarter than Spock" "Sneakin' Out the Hospital" Hello Nasty

(There's more, but it's hard to say if it's the guy from star Trek or the Pediatritian.)

21. "So I'm supposed to sit upon my couch watching my TV; I'm still listening to wax, I'm not using the CD" "Sure Shot" Ill Communication

"Cooling at the crib watching my TV; Ed Norton - Ted Knight - and Mr. E-D" "Paul Revere" Licensed to Ill

"All you trekkies and TV addicts; Don't mean to diss, don't mean to bring static" "Ch-Check It Out" To The Five Boroughs

22. "Goodness gracious golly gee; Shazam! Freeeeeeak out with the genie!" "Shazam!" To The Five Boroughs

23. "I'll grab the tee, I'll tee off; I'll grab the golf clubs and I'm off, I'm Audi so check me" "B-boys makin' with the freak freak" Ill Communication

24. "Because we slowed it on down - so get the hell up; Like a volcano I'll erupt" "Slow And Low" Licensed to Ill

25. "A butterfly floats on the breeze of a sun lit day; As I feel this reality gently fade away" "Namaste" Check Your Head

26. "Like a flag at half mast as frames click fast; Not a thing will last as past is pas" "Just A Test" Hello Nasty

"You scream and you holler about my Chevy Impala; But the sweat is getting wet around the ring around your collar" "So What'cha Want" Check Your Head

27."I got a girl in the castle and one in the pagoda; You know I got rhymes like Abe Vigoda" "Posse In Effect" Licensed to Ill

"I chill at White Castle 'cause it's the best; But I'm fly at Fat Burger when I'm way out west" "The New Style" Licensed to Ill

"Because being bad news is what we're all about; We went to White Castle and we got thrown out" "Slow Ride" Licensed to Ill

"And I can always make them smile; From White Castle to the Nile" "Girls" Licensed to Ill

"Down with Mike D. and it ain't no hassle; Got the ladies of the eighties from here to White Castle" "Paul Revere" Licensed to Ill

"We got determination - bass and highs; White Castle fries only come in one size" "Slow And Low" Licensed to Ill

28. "Now that you got what you want, you want more; I'll be with the hammer and the nail at your door" "Super Disco Breakin'" Hello Nasty

"But like the hammer to the nail hit the nail on the head; Well I don't shoot blanks and I don't shoot leadt" "Brand new" To The Five Boroughs

29. "Rock my Adidas never rock Fila; I do not sniff the coke I only smoke sinsemilla" "Sounds of Science" Paul's Boutique

"More Adidas sneakers that a plumber got pliers; Got more suits that Jacoby & Meyers" "Shadrach" Paul's Boutique

30. "Now, we be grillin' cheese and flippin' flapjacks; With the diamond stylus, yo we cutting wax" "3 The Hard Way" To The Five Boroughs

31."I'm like Al Goldstein, I'm all about screwing; Lead my team to sixty wins like my man pat ewing" "Flute Loop" Ill Communication

32. Yauch is a Leo, but I couldn't find any lyrics about it.

33."Now that you got what you want, you want more; I'll be with the hammer and the nail at your door" "Super Disco Breakin'" Hello Nasty

34. "Now that you got what you want, you want more; I'll be with the hammer and the nail at your door" "Super Disco Breakin'" Hello Nasty

35. Robot from Intergalactic Video.

36. "You got the boomin' system but it's blasting out doo-doo; You think it's chocolate milk but it's watered down Yoo Hoo" "Live At P.J.'s" Check Your Head

37. "I got a girl in the castle and one in the pagoda; You know I got rhymes like Abe Vigoda" "Posse In Effect" Licensed to Ill

38. "No shame in my game just par for the path; I try to hone my craft because at hands the task" "The Move" Hello Nasty

39. "Doing 120 plowing over mail boxes; Radar detector to tell me where the cops is" "High Plains Drifter" Paul's Boutique

40. "The waters are polluted as the forests are cut down; Bombing and drilling deep below the ground" "The Update" Ill Communication

41. "He had a little horsie named Paul Revere; Just me and my horsy and a quart of beer" "Paul Revere" Licensed to Ill

"I had a good feeling easy come easy go; I bet on one horse to win and your mother to show" "High Plains Drifter" Paul's Boutique

42. "I'll fill you to the fuckin' rim like brim; I'm walking down your block and you say that's him" "Root Down" Ill Communication

"50 cups of coffee and you know it's on; I move the crowd to the break of break of dawn" "Super Disco Breakin'" Hello Nasty

"I like my sugar with coffee and cream; Got to keep it going keep it going full steam" "Intergalactic" Hello Nasty

43. "I jumped outside the house with my Walkman on; I get so hyped when I hear this song" "Putting Shame In Your Game" Hello Nasty

44. "And the man upstairs I hope that he cares; If I had a penny for my thoughts I'd be a millionaire" "Shadrach" Paul's Boutique

45. "I did it like this, I did it like that; I did it with a whiffleball bat" "Paul Revere" Licensed to Ill

46. "So I went into the locker room during classes; Bust into your locker and I smashed your glasses" "The New Style" Licensed to Ill

47. "My pistol is loaded - I shot Betty Crocker; Deliver Colonel Sanders down to Davey Jones' locker" "Rhymin' And Stealin'" Licensed to Ill

48. "My pistol is loaded - I shot Betty Crocker; Deliver Colonel Sanders down to Davey Jones' locker" "Rhymin' And Stealin'" Licensed to Ill

49. "Got weight on my shoulders and things on my mind; The sky is falling and I'm falling behind" "The Move" Hello Nasty

50. "I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce; You've got the rhyme and reason but no cause" "So What'cha Want" Check Your Head

51. "Well like the Blackbyrds I'ma do it fluid; I'm building rhymes like buildings, like a stonehenge druid" "Do It" Ill Communication

52. "I'm in the lab all day I Scrabble all night; I got a Be-Dazzler so my outfit's tight" "Shazam!" To The Five Boroughs

B is worth 3 points in Scrabble, also 3 Beastie Boys

53. "To send my rhymes out to all of the nations; Like Ma Bell, I've got the ill communications" "Sure Shot" Ill Communication

"Enough of that, I just want to give some respect due; MCA Grab the mic and the ma bell will connect you" "Root Down" Ill Communication

"Gonna get it together, watch it, gonna get it together ma bell; I'm like ma bell, I've got the ill communications" "Get it Together" Ill Communication

54. "Some static started in the pool hall; In a motherfucker's face with the cue ball" "Car Thief" Paul's Boutique

55. "Go to the movies get the Rolos the cholos riding slow and low; Mike on the mic and bust with the solo" "B-boy Bouillabaisse" Paul's Boutique

56. "Sweet and sour like a tangerine; Fresh like a box of Krispy Kremes" "Three MC's And One DJ" Hello Nasty

57. Monster from Intergalactic Video.

Until tonight.

Jensen
G1988: LA

No comments: